Chapter 13 Attorneys in Woodland Hills
Overrun by Debt? It Doesn’t Have to Be Like This.
If you do not qualify for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, Chapter 13 bankruptcy may be an option for you. In a Chapter 13 bankruptcy you slowly pay off your debts over time. By restructuring your debt into manageable monthly payments, you can satisfy your outstanding debt obligations by adhering to your repayment plan during the course of three to five years. Importantly, Chapter 13 doesn’t require any asset liquidation. This means you can hold on to your belongings and even stop a foreclosure on your home.
Are you interested in a free consultation with one of our lawyers? Contact JM Law Firm, APC online or by calling (818) 696-4443 and tell us you want to arrange your complimentary meeting with an attorney today.
Are You Eligible for Chapter 13?
If you are considering Chapter 13 as an option to reorganize your debt and eventually free yourself from your creditors, there are certain basic qualifications you must meet.
Chapter 13 eligibility requirements include:
- Having a regular income
- Unsecured debts (credit cards, personal loans, etc.) amounting to no more than around $420,000
- Secured debts (vehicles, real estate, other property secured by collateral) amounting to no more than around $1.26 million
- No bankruptcy case dismissals due to failure to appear or to comply with a court order within 180 days of filing a new case
- No other Chapter 13 discharges within the past two years
- No other discharges from other bankruptcies within the past four years
What Debts Are Not Dischargeable in Chapter 13?
Debts that are non-dischargeable in Chapter 13 include those that have certain long term obligations.
Some examples of debts that cannot be discharged are:
Debt from child or spousal support
Debts for student loans
Debts from death or injury caused by driving while intoxicated
Debts for a criminal fine that is included in the debtor’s sentence during conviction
Debts for restitution
JM Law Firm, APC’s Chapter 13 attorneys in Woodland Hills and Los Angeles can help you navigate this complicated legal process. While it may seem like a favorable option compared to Chapter 7, those who undergo Chapter 13 can owe substantial amounts of debt and must be prepared to commit to a repayment plan that could span half a decade. When you work with an experienced debt relief attorney from our firm, however, you will get the personalized attention and support you need during this process. We’ll help you work out a repayment plan that makes sense for your unique financial situation so you can feel more confident about building a more stable future.
As you are most likely aware, bankruptcy is a legal action that can positively impact your financial situation but comes with certain consequences of its own. Review some of these benefits and risks below and reach out to our Chapter 13 attorneys in Woodland Hills if you have more questions about what you can get out of reorganizing your debt.
Benefits of filing for Chapter 13 Bankruptcy include:
- Keeping your home, even if you’re behind on your mortgage
- Debt consolidation that requires one payment at a time that will be distributed by a trustee to all your creditors – lessening the risk of missing a payment due to a complex web of creditors
- A better impact on your credit report than Chapter 7. A Chapter 13 will show up on your report for up to seven years, while a Chapter 7 will appear for up to 10 years
Risks of filing for Chapter 13 Bankruptcy include:
- Strict adherence to your payment plan – any deviation not approved by the court can cause a dismissal and lead to loss of assets you sought to protect
- Your credit can be severely impacted by bankruptcy, which can make it difficult to seek new credit
- Housing options may be more limited for as long as a bankruptcy appears on your credit report (in the case of a Chapter 13, up to seven years)
For more information about whether you are eligible, reach out to our firm by calling (818) 696-4443 or contacting us online.
Our firm offers prospective clients a free initial consultation to have a chance to meet with one of our attorneys. During this meeting, we will discuss your situation and offer next-step options for how our Chapter 13 attorneys in Woodland Hills and Los Angeles can help you find a path toward financial freedom.
Contact us online to schedule your complimentary consultation. We offer the possibility of same-day appointments as well as availability after normal business hours and on weekends.
Spanish & Farsi Speaking Services Available
Over 25 Years of Experience